Creation of the Memorial Site
In January 1982, on the 40th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference, memorial plaques were set up on the street and at the villa at the behest of the then Governing Mayor of Berlin, Richard von Weizsäcker.
"This house was the site of the infamous Wannsee Conference of January 1942. In remembrance of the Jewish people killed by the National Socialist tyranny".
This plaque was frequently vandalised and subsequently stolen. On the occasion of the 1982 anniversary, speaking in the villa, von Weizsäcker said: "Today, this house serves as a school residential centre for the Neukölln district of Berlin. A plaque at its entrance, obvious to all who come in, is to be a reminder of what took place here. This is not to burden the children who use this centre. For it is not they, but we, the older generation, who bear the burden of that time." (Die menschliche Brücke zwischen Juden und Deutschen trägt wieder. Berlin 1982, p. 8).
At the end of 1986, a commission was set up by the governing mayor to draw up plans for a permanent exhibition and educational programme for a memorial site.
On 20 January 1987, the 45th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference, the then GDR government proclaimed: "In Berlin (West) this day is to be used as a distraction from the ever-increasing antisemitism, and for the mayor of Berlin (West) to announce the establishment of a Jewish museum on the site of the fascist conference in Wannsee." (GDR Secretary of State for Church Affairs, statement of 20.01.1987).
On 17 October 1990, the non-profit organisation "Erinnern für die Zukunft - Trägerverein des Hauses der Wannsee-Konferenz e.V. [Remembering for the Future – Governing Body of the House of the Wannsee Conference Association]" was established. On 19 January 1992, the House of the Wannsee Conference Memorial and Educational Site was officially opened.